How to Make a Gumpaste Rose
Keen to learn how to make gumpaste rose flowers for cake decoration? This page will teach you how to make the flowers with step by step instructions and pictures.
2. Take some gumpaste and shape it into a tear drop.
3. Dip the looped end of the wire into some edible glue or egg white and insert it into the tear drop shaped gumpaste, as shown.
4. Leave it to dry. This will form the centre of the gumpaste rose.
5. For the petals, roll a little gumpaste into a thin sheet. Using the tear drop cutter, cut out 3 petals. Place the petals on a thin sponge and use a ball tool to thin the edges further.
6. Take the first petal and wrap it around the flower centre as shown.
7. Secure with a little glue or egg white.
8. Brush a little glue or egg white on the bottom edges of the remaining two petals.
9. Stick one end of the petal to the centre, leaving the other end loose.
10. Take the second petal, insert into the loose end of the first petal and secure both well.
11. This is how your rose should look.
12. Next, cut and prepare 3 more petals.
13. Assemble the petals in the same order as the 2 petals earlier.
14. For the final layer of petals, cut out 5 tear drop shapes.
15. Assemble the petals in the same order as before. Shape the petal tips with your finger to achieve the slightly curved look for the rose petals. Leave it aside to dry. If the flower petals droop, try drying them by hanging the flower upside down by the floral wire.
16. Next, roll some green paste in a thin sheet.
17. Cut out a calyx for the rose using a calyx cutter.
18. Lengthen the calyx by rolling each of the 5 sides out.
19. Brush some glue or egg white on the calyx. Insert it into the floral wire as shown.
20. This is how a completed rose will look like.
From Gumpaste Rose - Back to Cake Decorating Tips
Back to Homepage