”Learn how to choose the best kitchen scales for your cake baking needs”
The secret to baking great cakes lies not only in the ingredients used but also in the amount of ingredients used.
Accurate measurement of ingredients is therefore essential to ensure your cakes turn out really well and good. The best way to measure cake ingredients is to use a scale.
There are two types of most commonly used ones. One is the mechanical type and the other, an electronic
one, also known as digital weighing scales
Mechanical kitchen scales
- This is a traditional scale which has a needle pointing to the numbers on the scale to denote the weight of the item being weighed. These have been around for a long time and come in different maximum weight loads.
Typically, the most ideal for cake baking and home baking would be ones which are able to take a maximum load of 2 to 3 kilograms. Another important factor to keep in mind when buying this type of scales is to make sure the fractions of measures are clearly marked on the face of the scale. For example, if the main measures are marked at 100g, then within each 100g, make sure there are markings to show smaller fractions of 10g each. This is important to ensure you are able measure small quantities of your ingredients more accurately.
Electronic/Digital kitchen scales
- Contrary to the mechanical ones, these scales show the weight of the measured ingredient on a screen in digital form.
- Typically, these type of weighing machines are able to display the weight of measured ingredients right up to 2 decimal points, and in that sense give a more accurate measurement as compared to mechanical weighing machines. Some of these scales come with a bowl and others are with just a flat platform. The bowl is not really a must as you can place any bowl on the machine, set the numbers to zero and then add the ingredients to be weighed. These scales are also normally smaller and come with a warranty for a number of years.
Here are some points that you may wish to consider in buying the most appropriate kitchen scale:
- Make sure the weighing machine has both metric and imperial measures (i.e., measures cake ingredients in both grams and ounces). This is important as there are many recipes out there which use either one of the measures). If you buy one which has only metric measures, the next time you come across a good recipe which uses imperial measures, you will have to go through the trouble of converting the recipe which can be time consuming and lead to inaccuracies in the ingredients measured if the conversion is not done correctly.
to go to my online store. You can find here all the different types of of this baking tool available in the market, from the best digital scales like salter and soehnle weighing machines to many other affordable and antique ones.
- Also make sure to check the maximum load that can be weighed on the kitchen scales. A maximum load of 2 to 3 kilograms would be ideal for home baking.
Next baking tool - Measuring cups and spoons
From Kitchen scales - Back to Baking tools
Back to Homepage